I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Off the burner


Posting here seems like a distant memory.
 
I'm so busy with my column, and with editing my resurrected project, that I have pushed my lonely little blog, not only on the back burner, but right off the damn stove.

It’s funny how something written so long ago can still be timely and still relevant. That some thoughts are as permanent as eye color, and others as fleeting as changing outfits, surprises me. Conundrum that I am, (steadfast in my beliefs and ever changing), I have grown. I am not afraid to admit how, (at times), off the mark my pen was and not shy about touting the perfectly stated point.
 
 HEAD-SLAPS, SPEED-BUMPS AND LIGHTBULBS,
One woman’s WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

Yup, it’s finally, an almost there (updated) book. From the late eighties until now, my published opinions, triumphs, trip-ups and tragedies are a living metaphor for women, writers and other humans. It’s about the force and fallout of why I wrote what I wrote and what happened after, with life smoothing or chipping away at the edges.
 
So, who the hell am I?
I am a minnow in a mud puddle.
Why would anyone want to read my memoir/essay/WTF is it book?
To overuse a cliché, I am every woman, unless I am not. In which case...

See ya on the other side of final edits when the real work begins.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your edits, 2Ns =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ. I am very excited about finally making the decision to set fiction aside and focus on what I do best, and what I love to do most, write about life as seen through my rear view mirror. Like I have often said, I am the tongue-in-cheek love child of Erma Bombeck and Andy Rooney. May they rest in writer's peace.

      Delete
  2. Never be sorry that you're not singing all the verses of your song at the same time.

    I went to a convention over the weekend, where I pulled out old skills and knowledge I'd packed away several years ago. I'd forgotten how much I had enjoyed--liked--certain things. But when I considered whether I should get back into them, I chose not to.

    Yes, I liked them, but I didn't love them. I have other things I love, and I will be happiest focusing my time and energy on them.

    I think you've made the right choice. Be confident in that.


    Her Grace, Heidi from Romance Spinners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my advanced age I have learned that because we get one shot at this thing we call life, why not (if we can) do what we love rather than what we think is expected of us. I'm loving this decision and am running with it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE it that you do what you love, Carolynn. It's inspiring, refreshing and wonderful. You are a damn good writer, and I can't wait to read your book. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soooo excited to get it finished, professionally edited and on its way. I don't know why it has taken me so long to make a decision.

      Delete
  4. How's it coming? No need to tell you to keep going - cause you already are, and have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's coming. Will jump over to email.

      Delete
    2. Well...I sent you an email and it jumped back to me. An old address I guess.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today I find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. I have something new for you about Skindex

    ReplyDelete