I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Sunday, October 2, 2016

Catch and release

Over the course of my lifetime I have owned three businesses: two retail, one manufacturing. I loved being in the position of where the buck stopped, started, was made and sometimes lost. I loved that I loved to go to work, couldn’t wait, went in early, stayed late and took work home. That my life’s passion of being a success in business ruled every waking moment, and some when not awake, made me feel like the luckiest person in the world. I mean really, who loves to go to work, and delays going home, because work is more satisfying.

Home back then, empty.

I still have that love of work feeling, but it is not related to business ownership or my 9 to 5, which isn’t really a 9 to 5, but an all over the clock schedule of mundane, (unimportant to anyone but stockholders) tasks. My day job requires a physical prowess which is getting harder and harder to provide. I am pushed to the edge each day and just when I can’t take any more, my 8 hours is up and I go home.
 
Home isn’t empty anymore.

Many things wait for me there: among them are two passions, two loves, one obsession. Sorry honey, I do love you but as you already know you’re not my obsession, writing is.

Writing is my plate, my path, my vessel full of that which I cannot live without. It is my feast, my famine, my steady rock, my teetering tower. I am full when I write and I starve. My thirst for just the right word and phrase and paragraph is like my drive to work so long ago, my key in the lock of the door to open, to make, to create, to succeed. I love what I do. I mean really, I love what I do, here, in this place when I write. And to get paid to do this, even the miniscule amount I do, is riches beyond belief.

Yup, over the course of my lifetime I have owned not only three businesses but four, two retail, one manufacturing and one word-mongering.  I love being in the position of where the words start, stop, are made or caught and released. I am in control. (Or does it control me?)

Does word-mongering control you?

No comments:

Post a Comment