I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Let my fingers do the cross-country walking


Edits done, I’m querying again and though it feels good to be back in the cross country race, I’m feeling lost.

 When you need a dentist, a doctor or a lawyer one of the worst things you can do is chose your educated expert from the phonebook; not that anyone actually uses a phonebook any more. If you have just moved to town you’re supposed to ask friends, neighbors and coworkers for who they use; word of mouth, the best reference.

Well I don’t know a lot of published authors, actually I don’t personally know any well enough to ask for the name of their agent or a reference. The only one who said I could use his name was awesome writer Garth Stein, Racing in the Rain. I actually read his book because of his agent, Jeff Kleinman.  He is also Averil Dean’s agent. Jeff is a true gentleman and though honest, he is not brutal. Years ago I submitted work to him, and even an earlier version of the memoir I am plying now, so with utmost respect he’s off my list, don’t want to make a pest of myself.

Searching for an agent, the right agent, the one who is taking on new clients and wants me because he or she loves my manuscript is about as possible as standing on a Wall Street sidewalk pan-handling for a financial advisor.

So here I am, by the curb, with my hand printed cardboard sign and a basket of apples queries for a dime free, handing them out to passers-by. Any takers?

How lost are you?

4 comments:

  1. I used to have a bumper sticker that said, "I'm lost, but I'm making record time," which seems to sum it up.

    Good luck with the queries, Carolynn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Averil. I'm not so much as lost as feeling as if I am going in circles. I am so happy for your success.

      Delete
  2. Keep on, keeping on. It's all you can do. I know I've thought of giving up the cooking blog many times - even after my "great news" which has turned out not to be as great as I expected. I thought: quit, it's not worth it. But I am such a stubborn be-atch I won't give up until I'm satisfied that I've been given the prize - my first small compensation from years and years of blogging. Don't you give up until you read the words: we are interested in publishing your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still in it to win it. How's that for a cliché. Thanks babe you're the best.

      Delete