I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Saturday, June 21, 2014

Done



           
Only minutes ago, I finished.
I ended it in a very different place than I originally imagined. 

That I would write a memoir using my essays and columns as a backbone to my life is fitting I think. I am amazed by my personal self-examination of thought and gratified by what I wrote then, and have written now. Regarding words, I regret none, but know a few have punched my ticket to hell. It is with hope and fervent prayer that those will be edited by a kinder heart of a greater being and overwritten by the goodness of the other words.

I will let the baby rest, print, and begin the hard copy edit. I should feel relieved, glad that it’s done but I feel a kind of sadness too. I relived my life by outline and then filled in the flesh and heart of who I was and am. I am proud, I am tired. My hands hurt and I want to cry for the people I have written about who are gone.
Now I must find a place for my story and a person who will help me get it there.
I am not famous, my platform is small, so it will be hard.

In the beginning of the book I describe the moments after climbing a mountain in Montana, and standing at the edge of the cliff I had just climbed up and over. The view was made more spectacular because of the effort it took to get there. I made it because I didn’t give up and I had help.

This book is finished because I didn’t give up and I had help.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing this project! I'm sure you're anxious to start at the beginning and see how it flows...I think that's the fun part. Seeing if all the pieces stitched together make a nice comfy afghan, or with editing, a washcloth that needs more material. (how's that for an analogy! LOL!) That's what I thought about with mine. That I will end up with a washcloth if I cut out all the crappy parts.

    How big did it end up being? Do you have a list of dream agents to approach???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited that it's done, kind of sad too. Figuring out where to end was a challenge so I did what I do with my columns,( I end where I begin), sort of, and it seems just right. I feel good about it.
      At this stage it's about 59,000 words, respectable for a memoir. Once I edit the hard copy I know it will grow because during the process I edited a lot out. I don't usually edit extensively as I go alone, but because the sections are themed I had to eliminate transitions while shifting stuff around.

      Yes I have dream agents but it's going to be a challenge because my readers are local. It will take a creative agent with balls to stand up to convention or a very special agent who believes unknowns should get a chance too. (I know...it's the platform stupid, the platform).
      The paper I write for goes to 100,000 households a week and the on line component gets a little short of 4M hits a month. I'd sure like to say they all read and love my column but...
      I'm thinking I'll have to fly this plane myself. Don't want to go that way but if I do, I'll give it my best shot. Boy I wish Caroline hadn't retired. I could sure use her insight.

      BTW did you find your ending?

      Delete
    2. The stats are impressive...even if you speculated and hoped to get a 1/10 of those numbers - it would be impressive, right? I mean 1/10 of 100,000 - hellooooo! Or 1/10 of 4M??? EEEK.

      I have an ending, but I'll send you an email on that b/c I might get long winded. (imagine!)

      Delete
    3. Got your email and I answered. I'm more long winded than you :)

      Delete