I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Hunky-dory, Dory



Well...it’s been more than two weeks since I posted because I’m in the midst. In the midst of the holiday season obviously but also in the midst of...

Head-slaps, Speed-bumps and Light-bulbs;
one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

I have finally begun the gathering of the articles from my first year as a columnist at Shoreline, to my second year as a columnist at the ‘Times” of The Day. From the hundred or so of the older published pieces from all over, I am picking and choosing the most appropriate preambles and accompaniments to the tunes this old broad has been humming as of late.

I’m excited about the project. I have my intro and many force and fallout bookends for some of the pieces. I love this. I love examining the mindset I had twenty-some-odd years ago and the mind containing the out of control jangling marbles I live with now.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to query the book when it’s compiled or go for the whole e-publishing-self-aggrandizement thing. I have approached a few agents I respect with a proposal (of sorts).  The replies: “...interesting”, “...your platform is not big enough - yet” and “...I love the title but you have no idea how hard this would be to sell.”  Those comments were made over two years ago based on older articles only and prior to becoming a columnist. Now...I reach a hundred-thousand households a week, and on-line the papers I am in get 4M hits a month. 

I have often written, “I am a minnow in a mud puddle.” 
To quote Dory, “Just keep swimming, swimming, just keep swimming.” Thanks Dory I will.
 
How long are you willing to Australian-crawl until you boat comes in?

No comments:

Post a Comment