I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Thursday, October 31, 2013

Orange is the new book cover

Figured I'd do a third novel update just to keep things on track. I had to stop writing for a couple of weeks, family obligations got in the way, family first, what a concept.
First week I was burning...a hundred pages in. Though I loved it something didn't feel right.

Bought Nathan Bransford's HOW TO WRITE A NOVEL within hours of it's debut. Spent the morning reading and BANG there it was. My point of view is wrong.
So...I'm into going from first to third person and loving how I can be such a know-it-all in the story.

Got back on the wagon yesterday changing the POV in what's already written, what a pain in the carpal tunnel that is, and I'm adding.

This morning I did a timeline. Yowsa ! Looks like what I've written will be a third of the whole.
Got to go to work now, damn it, but I feel so writery today.

110 pages 31,000 words.

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2013/10/how-to-write-novel-47-rules-for-writing.html

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nathan, thanks for stopping by. This book will make a big difference for writers.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I do this with my students to make them think through details. I ask how a story would look different if it were told from another character's POV or first instead of third, etc. it's harder than it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennine I can't believe what a difference it has made, not just for the story itself but by how I view what I am now able to say, on behalf of all the characters.

      Delete
  3. Eeek, must get. I've been following Nathan's blog for years...but not lately I guess! I didn't know this was out!

    ReplyDelete