I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Friday, October 11, 2013

Hard to be humble when you are perfect in ev-er-ry way


Does this mean that all detritus is valued?

A few days ago a woman who once worked for me, told me how upset she was because she couldn’t find my columns in the Shoreline Times anymore. Yesterday at work, three customers I see often, came up to me and mentioned that they miss seeing my column in the paper as well. They thought I had either stopped writing or I had been dropped by the paper. I mentioned that I am now in eight ‘Times’ newspapers, a division of The Day in New London. So yesterday, as each woman approached me to express their dismay, out of my pocket I pulled my little pad of Post-its and wrote down the on-line address and how to find me.  It made my day that readers mentioned how much they miss reading my column. I felt famous.

For a moment I thought maybe I was well-known enough to have business cards. Like a real estate agent I'd have my photo on it, plus my newspaper on-line address. I would even include one of humorous quotes. That’s when I had to clean up a hand-soap spill in the clearance aisle and then help a lawyer’s wife load a chair, two lamps and three boxes of dishes into her new Escalade. And, that was after maintenance called out and I volunteered to sweep up the wads of paper towels in the ladies room and empty the trash from the employee’s lounge.

Nothing like providing service with a smile for a rich skinny-bitch, plus cleaning, lugging, loading, sweeping and dumping trash to keep you humble. Nix on the business cards, I’m buying lottery tickets today on the way to work.

2 comments:

  1. Many of the book bloggers I follow have business cards! Definitely keeps them more visible - in the front of someone's mind. Couldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, I think I just might print up a few. I could always stand on a street corner and hand them out.
      Ha...standing on a street corner. My first thought was that I might be mistaken for a lady with less than proper intentions and then I remembered how old I am :)

      Delete