I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Saturday, August 24, 2013

Draw, cut, grind, wrap, fit, solder and shine...pray


I haven’t posted in a while, been working on a lot of stuff. One project...a short story that I am entering in a contest. It’s romance. That’s right, a romantic short story, something I have never done before. I wanted to write something I knew about and write something that would exercise my writer's mine,  stained glass and short fiction.

Not one of my designs but very similar to some of my projects
In a former life, decades ago, I was a stained glass designer and builder of all things bright, shiny and complicated. I loved telling people I designed stained glass, it was unusual and to me kind of cool. What I liked about it was that the process is more than drawing pretty pictures. The artist must take into account the properties and difficulties regarding the medium. It was always a challenge, always a surprise. Sort of like writing.

So wish me luck. I have stepped way outside my writing form and am stretching myself.  That’s a good thing I think.

When is the last time you stretched your writing muscles?

2 comments:

  1. You stretched and have woven together pieces of your life in a story that is heart warming. You feel all sorts of emotions reading it. It's a stretch for me to flex any writing lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words.
      Regarding flexing, sometimes it's best to rest a bit...renews the spirit.

      Delete