I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Sunday, April 7, 2013

Up, up and away



My column breaks in some of the new newspapers this week; same lover, different sheets. I’m excited but kind of sad too. Because I’m branching out and the coverage is one town north of here and spreads all the way to the state line, I won’t be looking my readers in the eye anymore.
Yesterday at work a woman walked up to me, “I love your column,” she said. We chatted for a while and I told her how she made my day. It’s crazy being recognized, I just can’t get used to it. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Went to a birthday party last night, forty people or so, at least half mentioned the column and how much they enjoy it and how disappointed they are that it won’t be so local anymore.
It never dawned on me that building a platform and obtaining a fan base means moving up and sometimes away from the very people who got you there in the first place.
Next step...who knows... national?
I’m working on one right now that just might do that.

What’s your next step?  

No comments:

Post a Comment