I don’t write to be famous, I don’t write to be known, I write because I am and I want to be read. How sad to fill a room with paintings no one sees or play music no one hears. Writing is talking without sound, singing without score and dancing without movement and yet, it is all of them. It is a solitary art conjured from thought and expressed by the need to communicate.

HEAD SLAPS, SPEED BUMPS and LIGHTBULBS, one woman's WTF, oops and ah-ha moments of life.

They were published once, and as every writer knows, once is not enough.




Thursday, September 13, 2018

balls...Balls...BALLS



omg…OMG…OH MY GOD !

I’m tooling along finishing my WIP, with only a few thousand words left to go, and in the back of my mind the reason why two characters pretty much can’t stand each other eluded me. That there was an issue kept bumping into my thoughts like a golf ball rolling around in a bowl.

why…Why…WHY?

Then, a few days ago I’m writing a sentence and

boom…Boom…BOOM !!!

There it was spilling out onto the page like water down a slide into the deep end. It's a stunner.

Wow…Wow…WOW !!!

(Okay so enough of the three word fancy reactives.)

Anyway:

The result is that I have had to go back and plant seeds (hints) that are restrained enough, so as not to be obvious, until the reader discovers the surprise.  

This throws a bag of shiny new Titleists into the bowl because now I have to make sure I keep the readers engaged enough to get to the heart breaking and mind blowing surprise. Wait a minute I was supposed to be doing that already wasn't I.

(And I thought I was almost done).

Oh well.

Ain’t writing...fun…Fun…FUN?

Sorry couldn’t resist just one more.

5 comments:

  1. Yup, you just think you've hit "the end" when you realise it was only "the end for now". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the end of the now." Love it.
    Now, it the beginning of the then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday to my brilliant, hilarious, wonderful writer friend!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lilac, you are too kind. Thanks. Funny how age creeps up on us. One minute you're sitting up front as part of the show. The next minute you're in the middle, with family and friends swirling around, and before you know it you're sitting in the back row, smile on your face watching everybody else going crazy trying to figure out what you already know...can't change the past, can't predict the future so all we have is now, and ice cream.

      Delete
  4. As long as we have ice cream in the now, I'm in.;) Celebrating you, my dear friend! And your outstandingly, wise, witty and original words and voice!!! <3

    ReplyDelete